- Savannah-Hope slept pretty well, I had a harder time sleeping. The rats have refused to die and have been conducting some type of soccer tournament in the attic above my head.
- Lloyd picked us up around 9am and we went to town with Thandie to pick up some supplies for Savannah-Hope's village.
- Then it was off on the long bumpy ride to the village. Lloyd drove. Mrs. Miller, Thandie, Peace, Margret, Miriam (orphan from the same village and distant relative to Savannah), Savannah and I piled into the Mazda truck.
- We arrived to the home where Savannah-Hope had lived with her mother and grandmother. Many villagers and family members gathered around. Tamandani still lives in this home with the grandmother. The other twin, Sidala lives with the paternal grandmother in the father's village. They have a 10 year old brother named Jameson who lives in the father's village but not sure with who. I found out today that the father has remarried.
- I brought clothes for the three children and food supplies for the caregivers. They were grateful but started sharing other requests that they had. The needs here are so great in this country and this is one of the poorer villages. So heart breaking.
- Tamandani screamed when anyone besides the maternal grandmother held her so it was pretty hard to get good pictures, but I did the best I could.
- We waited about 2 hours for Sidala to arrive. She went to me right away. She looks much healthier than her twin. Both girls will be three in couple weeks, but are just a tiny bit bigger than Savannah.
- I was able to get some sibling pictures of the girls in matching dresses.
- The children of the village surrounded me. I took pictures of them with the digital camera and then turned the camera around so they could see themselves. They got such a kick out of this. They have no mirrors, so most of them have never seen what they look like. They would shout and laugh. It was alot of fun.
- It is difficult to put into words how my heart was affected by the trip to Savannah-Hope's village. It will probably take a long time to process it. But since Chrissie is insistent that I give her some thoughts for the blog here it goes:
I imagine that every American who would visit this village would walk away with some thoughts in common, such as extreme poverty. You can't miss that the children are barely dressed. The ones that have clothes, they are tattered and torn...barely hanging on their bodies. They have worms, both in their bellies making their stomachs bulge out, but also in their skin making little mountains all over their arms, legs, and head. There is dirt everywhere. The homes are one room mud huts with grass roofs and mud floors. There is no furniture, no electricity, no glass windows, and no water. The people are extremely filthy.
But then there are other thoughts that may be more individual. For me it was my kids. I couldn't help but think of Amelia, when I saw a 7 year old girl with a bucket of laundry on her head and a baby tied to her back. Or think of Izabella, when I saw a 4 year old girl selling tomatoes on the side of the road with a 2 year old the size of Maggie tied to her back. The roads are so dangerous, and she is working just to live. Only 4 years old and completely unsupervised. I thought of my boys, when I saw seven year old boys walking with machetes chopping down corn in the field. I think of my children and their decorated bedrooms, warm blankets, shoes, toys, hair bows, car seats, parents. My children have parents...two of them. They get to be educated, they don't have to work. They don't lay in bed at night shivering begging God that they may have a bite to eat tomorrow. They don't have to worry that a wild animal may get into their house, or their grass roof may cave in or catch on fire. My children have so much, but only because God has allowed us to provide that for them. This could have been us. I could have been born a Malawian woman and had to watch my children starve and beg for food. I could have been sick and sent my child with strangers to a far away land so she could live. This has been a completely life changing experience. I am not coming home the same person or the same mother. I wish that Shane and the kids could have made this trip with me. I just hope that I can find a way to portray what I have seen to my husband and children.


18 comments:
Very powerful, Crystal. Thank you for sharing and reminding us all how blessed we are. I wonder if this country will begin to allow more adoptions. The comparison of the twins must have been heartbreaking! Be safe.
Praying that all the papers come through quickly. Thanks for such a wonderful insight into the country. Can't wait to hear all about your trip.
Praying for your safety too.
Kristi R.
Reading your blog, especially in this past week, has got me thinking just how materialistic THIS country is. I think that every American should take a trip to a third world country and see jsut how unimportant and insignificant having material things are... I'll pray for the papers
Just wanted you to know that you are in my prayers and hope you both are home soon.
Thank you Crystal for sharing what we don't see...you're there and it's real...I'm thankful and give thanks in many ways :) because of people like you who share those realities!
well i can't say much through tears ... i have had such an odd day in my spirit thinking about this trip for you ... i knew w/your heart it would be so surreal and that your heart would break for all the children ... i love you and know that when you get home and share in person this story w/many that is will change so many lives ... i love you !!!
Thank you Crystal for reminding us of all the blessing we have in American. The first hand experience is not only life changing to you, but to the people who read your blog. Thanks you for sharing your journey with Savannah and allow us to be changed.
Crystal that is the most amazing post I have ever read...
I am sitting here just thinking about how it could possibly feel... And I can not even imagine..
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and Hannah.. I am a better person reading your journey to sweet little Hannah..
HUGS TO YOU..
Thank you so much for sharing your journey.... We are so blessed and take so much for granted.....
There are just no words....
God Bless the children...
God bless you. You will forever be changed by this . As Americans sometimes it is easier to just "not" know, but we should know. Not only to help , but to also truly appreciate the blessings and grace God has showed us. Love and blessings, Kristy
Crystal,
I will pray for you and your daughter and her village.
I am glad that you are there and that you are able to share with the rest of us what you have seen.
God Bless you and keep you safe.
I don't even have words to respond to this post...just know that your experience is changing me too. Thank you for sharing your experience!
My prayers are with you!
Savannah Hope is SO beautiful! Congratulations to your entire family on your sweet bundle of joy!!! Your description of the children in her village is heart breaking. Not one person should ever have to live that way...especially an innocent child. May God hold you in the palm of his hand and bring you both safely home!!! I noticed my dresses on your sweet girls...they looks so adorable!!!
As I wipe the tears from my eyes all I can think about is all of those sweet children that would love to have just a small portion of what my children have. And how blessed we are to have been born where we are. This sure made me thank God for the little things. Maybe, one day we can go back as RNs and offer a small amount of help if nothing else just love on them. What a blessed little girl Savannah is to get a godly mommy and daddy to lavish on her all the love she deserves.
Hi, I found your blog from Gwen. Thank you for taking the time to write about the village. My heart breaks for those precious children. I'll be praying for them, and for your daughter.
~Lynn
Thank you for sharing a piece of your heart. We can only imagine the poverty, and i'm sur our imaginations wouldn't do it justice. Praying for God's blessings over your journey.
Hi Crystal,
I write to Gwen on her blog and I've had the privlege of following along with the adoption of your precious girl. What you have shared about your husband is so wonderful and is how I feel about my dear husband of almost 30 yrs. Please know that I am praying for you to be united with your family very soon. Praying for safey and health for you, too.
Love, Holly M.:)
Beautifully written. God has given us so much. Thank you for the very honest and candid picture of what you saw and felt. Praying for Savannah's birth family.
Post a Comment